Re: [DNS] Why have a policy?

From: Bennett Oprysa <bennett§enetica.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:17:08 +1000
Bill,

all applications are viewed and manually approved by our staff, they
check that the contact details are plausible and that the ABN/ACN etc
are correct. If the claim is  an exact match/abbreviation, this is also
checked, but if the claim is close and substantial, there is a basic
'reasonableness test' for the domain, but since we don't ask for a
reason, there is nothing to check in that way.

Again, you are missing the point, even the examples you have listed
below are not names we could reject just because they are suspicious. In
the early days of the new regime, we did in fact follow up any
suspicious names, in almost all cases people found a way to justify
their claim, it really is not that hard. We no longer bother as it
serves no purpose other than increasing the cost of the service.

I would not want to see a situation where domains required extra
checking by auDA etc before being approved, but I'd have no problem with
auDA allocating a person to investigate such domains after they were
registered. It would be a tiny cost in a $3mil/year budget, but as I
have already outlined, there simply are not that many domains that can
be shown to be registered without basis.

Bennett.