Re: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Mike <mjr§hydrocorp.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:57:50 +0930
Hi Kim,

Kim Davies wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>
>Quoting Mike on Thursday April 07, 2005:
>|
>| I wasn't saying id.au..I said .au.
>| If we looked at someone like whois.com.au
>| We can see here what I'd like everyone to see..
>| Sadly though this isn't the case..
>| The company details and my email details are all publicly available.
>| The details I have here are very similar in form to most of the "normal"
>| registrants in the .com.au.
>| All we need to do then is start the search from there..
>| I won't detail it here for the engines thx Kim, but rest assured it would
>| be pretty easy for anyone to get a start at finding the directors or the
>| company.
>
>Understood, but I don't think that is an issue for companies. Privacy
>rights apply to individuals. Many companies use role accounts in
>the WHOIS if they don't want individuals listed there (e.g. whois
>ozemail.com.au). A business has no right to privacy.

We agree to disagree.

>If the issue is the individuals listed as contacts are having their
>privacy breached because they unwittingly provided information they felt
>would not be public, but became public - then that is an issue I could
>maybe agree with. But the solution to that is to make the obligations of
>domain registration clearer at the time of the transaction.
>
>| [Example: person wants a domain name name anonymously]
>| Company based registration without the need for a searchable whois entry.
>| I'm not saying the data won't be given, I'm saying it won't be available
>| without a record being created for a good reason like a warrant.
>
>There is a public interest in having contact details for a domain above
>and beyond law enforcement. For example, there are technical reasons why
>the administrator of a zone needs to be contacted from time-to-time. If
>something is going awry and I want to speak with a zone administrator, I
>don't want to have to file a legal case against them to get a warrant.
>That is just one reason we have the WHOIS.

Good example, however that is not the sort of info I've been saying
needs protecting.

>If someone wants a domain name which does not have any WHOIS data
>associated with the name, there are 99.999%+ of the world's zones
>to choose from. They could have savetherefugees.foo.com.au, and the
>foo.com.au administrator could keep the owner of the domain's identity
>secret.
>
>Someone could create such a service pretty easily, and offer free
>registrations if they so desired. In fact, if there was a strong need
>for this, perhaps there would be a role for a .anon.au 2LD chartered
>purely for the purpose of anonymous domain registration? Who knows.
>There are plenty of options.

There are many problems with this option Kim. Some could say Larry
already offers such a service..with the .au.com
He has no obligations to provide details of his registrants..
But some people want their own domain, not one controlled by an
individual or company who doesn't have to answer to anyone..

In the .au we have cctld controls.
I think this presents a market opportunity.

In many ways my position is not that dissimilar to Larry's.
I want to use the whois database as a way to make good repeat innovative
business.
It's just I want to use it in a different way, by NOT allowing the data
to be avail..

Mike.