[DNS] Changes to policy

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:03:23 +1000
The simple fact that so many contributors are now advocating controls and
restrictions clearly identifies that changing the status quo isn't quite as
simple and problem-free as first implied.

If I were a cybersquatter, why would a 1-month, 6-month or any-other-month
delay deter me in any way?  Hell, a $20 000 return on a $50 investment is
damn good money, even if I wait 10 years!

The .au space is distinguished by the fact that there are qualifying
criteria to get the name in the first place.  That in and of itself tends to
deter cybersquatting.  If the right to transfer were subject to the same
criteria, we're no worse off.

It seems to me that the real risk of anarchy lies where you have weak
eligibility criteria and no restrictions on transfer.  It's that combination
that I think we need to guard against.

And yes, I know - it's all about degree.

Ron Stark