[DNS] ConnectWest asn.au drama

From: David Keegel <djk§cybersource.com.au>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:18:19 +1000
On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 10:41:03PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> After two days, all our asn.au domains are back in the air!
>
> Two of our domains, and at least two others I knew (nswbar.asn.au
> and wabar.asn.au) were gone for nearly two days. Not a single word
> of warning of ConnectWest, not a single word in the corridor.

luv.asn.au was marked as expired on the morning of Sunday July 2
(or possibly earlier).  LUV managed to get the domain re-instated
on Monday (1-2pm).

For historical reasons I am the registrant contact for luv.asn.au and
I didn't receive any notification.  The tech contact and the president
of LUV tell me they didn't get any notification either.  The registrant
email and tech email are different, and both work.

I also noticed actu.asn.au was expired on Sunday.

> Does anybody know what has happened with them, and why all these
> asn.au domains went from normal operating to removed from the asn.au
> zone?

If they are like luv.asn.au, I think the first answer is that they
were marked in the AusRegistry database as due to expire on 1 July 2006,
and so they did.

If this is the case, it raises one or two other questions:
* Why was no notification received from the registrar (ConnectWest)
  or the reseller (iiNet) that the domain was due to expire?
* Was 1 July 2006 the correct expiry date for the domain?
  (LUV was confident that luv.asn.au was paid up until 2007.)

Am I right in thinking that the registrar is responsible for ensuring
that the expiry date stored in the registry database matches when the
domain has been renewed until, and that AusRegistry is responsible for
automatically expiring the domain on the expiry date (or soon after)?

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cybersource.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
 Cybersource P/L: Linux/Unix Systems Administration Consulting/Contracting