[DNS] Domain monetising?

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:55:35 +0100
Ron

Many registrars' terms and conditions include a clause about the customer
warranting that they are not breaching a third party's IP by registering
a name, so I'd argue that in fact they are (legally at least) meeting their
obligations.

You seem, however, to be suggesting that registrars should vet each and
every domain name that passes through their systems.  I doubt you would
be happy with the prices that would result from the overheads involved in
such a system.

The auDRP has been set up to deal with issues such as this.  7-Eleven have
previously made a choice (consciously or otherwise) not to secure this name
themselves.  They can now, as Kim has suggested, make another choice to
pursue this name using the auDRP.  I'm sure they can well afford it, if
they feel it's worth bothering with.  Given the state of their current Australian
website (as linked from: http://www.7-eleven.com/about/globalsites.asp),
I doubt they will.

See: http://www.7-eleven.com.au/

Jon