RE: [DNS] DNS List

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:07:55 +1100
I support a version of option 1 - putting a limit on the number of posts per
day.  That resolves the problem of certain individuals sending gazillions of
postings which many consider content free, but without having to impose
censorship.

auDA is a Regulatory Authority, and a logical monopoly.  As a monopoly I
believe it has a obligation to try and implement solutions that increase the
'signal to noise' ratio while trying to avoid a charge of 'refusing to
listen' by introducing barriers to participation (which is what Option 3
below would do).

Probably the best option is a hierarchy of solutions:

Step 1 - implement a limit on the number of postings per day.

If that doesn't work, move to

Step 2

If that doesn't work, move to

Step 3

Note for all those who advocate censorship (i.e. kicking other people off
the list):  You can implement your own censorship by using your email client
filters to trash unread posts from people who's posts you're not interested
in.  I object to recommendations that would result in you censoring what I
see.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959