DNS: Can we do something about noise on this list

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:59:29 +1000
To all list members

I would like to initiate a _serious_ debate about ways in which this list
can "moderate" itself without causing concern about "freedom of speech" or
"censorship".

I think that there is a critical need to ensure that this list sticks to
the important topics at hand. I have no idea how the issue can be resolved,
but there seems to be a consensus opinion that the work of this list is
compromised by side issues repeatedly raised by individuals who clearly do
not have a professional and cooperative approach to participation.

Without wanting to steer this debate in any particular direction, I can
offer a number of suggestions:

1. That a means be established to determine consensus.
2. That participants to the list acknowledge and agree to a set of simple
listiqette guidelines that they are therefore loosely bound by. This I
envisage to include things like
    a. No comments of a personal derogatory nature.
    b. No replying to postings that are obviously going to generate
orthogonal noise.

Please note that these are just suggestions.

My feeling is that there are important issues to debate on this list and
that this list is crippled by posting from individuals that the majority of
this list find vexatious or at least boring and irrelevant. The only reason
why this situation is allowed to continue is that the will of the majority
of list members is not heard.

Is there a cooperative, non-"big brother" means of ensuring that the
attention of the list is directed to debating and moving forward rather
than endless noise? Can we achieve that level of cooperation?

Perhaps list members can respond to a simple question with a Yes or No:

Consensus 1: DOES THIS LIST SUFFER FROM AN EXCESSIVE NOISE PROBLEM?

Your votes:
Larry Bloch: NetRegistry: YES

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043